But before you close the browser, no, we’re not going to serenade you with retro Thirty Merc… We are however, going to give you 20 good reasons you should sign up to Bridge to Brisbane Day 2016.
To be totally honest, there are far more than 20 things we love about Bridge to Brisbane Day 2016 (even if we do say so ourselves) but given the fact that this year marks two decades since Brisbane’s best fun run first found its stride, we thought we would settle for one point for every year. Here goes…
- Whole DAY of entertainment – Live bands, cheer squads, celebrities and exclusive offers, we’ve got a jam packed day of entertainment lined up for race goers to celebrate all thing Brisbane well past the finish line.
- Story Bridge – This will be the FIRST TIME since opening in 1940, that the Story Bridge is closing for a sporting event, and it’s all so that our fit and fierce race goers can stride along the roadway for the oh-so-scenic view. This is your chance to be part of history in the making.
- Finishers Village – If you’ve ever wanted your Cathy Freeman hero finisher moment, this is it, because this year the race finishes on Little Stanley Street where South Bank will come alive with entertainment and exclusive offers for runners.
- Bib-ileges – Bridge to Brisbane Day is officially taking over South Bank and to help celebrate crossing the finish line we are teaming up with a whole host of businesses to give you exclusive deals, known as Bib-ileges.
- Start Locations – With all of the road closures that help make Bridge to Brisbane Day possible, getting to the start line can sometimes be harder than getting to the finish line! But this year, both the 5km and 10km starting lines are conveniently located right next to Brisbane’s major transportation hubs.
- Free Transportation – Oh, did we also mention that public transport is FREE for all race goers until 3pm on race day? All you need to do is wear your race number to activate the FREE transport.
- Fundraising for a charity of your choice – Do you run for a cause or have a passion that keeps you motivated? Through the official Every Day Hero Bridge to Brisbane Day page you can fundraise for any charity in Queensland!
- Scenic 10km course – Bridge to Brisbane Day is about celebrating the best of Brisbane, which is why we’ve featured some of Brisbane’s most iconic landmarks along the 10km course. Find out the full course details right here.
- Jam packed 5km course – Running over the Story Bridge not once, but twice you’ll have double the opportunities to snap that perfect cityscape pic. Find the full course details right here.
- Join a team – Prefer to do things in numbers? Why not grab your besties, work colleagues, or family and sign up together for a 5km or 10km walk? We couldn’t think of a better way to hold yourself accountable!
- Dress up – Not that you need an excuse, but did you know the best dressed individual wins $300 and best dressed team wins $500? Time to bring out the fairy wings and tutus we say!
- Atmosphere – With an expected 25,000+ runners to cross the Bridge to Brisbane Day start line, you’ll have someone with you every step of the way to help you achieve your #BestTimeBNE
- It’s a family event – Join the 1,000s who run, walk or jog with their little ones on race day. Plus if you want to push your little bub in a stroller you can do so for FREE!
- New you! – As the temperature cools down, it’s the perfect time of year to kick-start your fitness regime with a goal in sight. Set yourself a Bridge to Brisbane Day challenge and get your runners on!
- You get two finishing times – Competing in the event will give you two times. One is your race time, and the other is your Hero Time – this is your race time, minus a second for every dollar you raise! So the more your raise, the better your Hero Time will be!
- Prizes – Did you know that the largest sum of money goes to the best hero time? You could bag yourself an impressive $5000! Step to it and set up an official Everyday Hero Bridge to Brisbane Day page now.
- Free T-shirt – All Bridge to Brisbane Day participants will receive a free T-shirt in their registration pack as a welcoming gift to the Bridge to Brisbane Day community – consider it your official initiation into the pack!
- Get your #BestTimeBNE – Whatever your goal, we’ll have someone with you every step of the way. For both the 10km & 5km races, pacers will be on hand to make it feel like a breeze achieving your #BestTimeBNE
- Live music – Nothing gives you a boost like a good song! Our live entertainment will extend way beyond the Finishers Village and onto the course to give you some motivation when you need it the most.
- 5km guided warm up – To kick-start the adrenaline and reduce any pre-race anxiety, we’ve got a killer warm up planned to get you moving!
What are you most excited for about this year’s race? Are you celebrating something big this year? Let us know in the comments or share your happy snaps with us on Facebook and Instagram by using #BestTimeBNE.